Summertime or Anytime: Get Tax Help 24/7 on IRS.gov
Tax help and information is available whenever needed on IRS.gov. Find publications, handy apps and full instructions on many topics. Here are good reasons to visit IRS.gov this summer:
- Use IRS Free File. Taxpayers who still need to file a 2016 return can use IRS Free File to e-file for free. Free File is available through Oct. 16. Those who earned $64,000 or less can prepare and e-file taxes with free tax software. Taxpayers who earned more can use Free File Fillable Forms. This option is the electronic version of IRS paper forms.
- Check on a refund. The Where’s My Refund? tool is a fast and easy way to check on a tax refund. Use the IRS2Go mobile app to access it or click on the “Refunds” tab on IRS.gov.
- Try IRS Direct Pay. Taxpayers who owe taxes can pay them with IRS Direct Pay. It’s the safe, easy and free way to pay from a checking or savings account. Just click on the “Pay Your Tax Bill” link on the IRS home page.
- Apply to make payments. Those who can’t pay all they owe at once may apply for an Online Payment Agreement. Check out the direct debit payment plan. It has a lower set-up fee and taxpayers will not miss a payment. With a direct debit plan, the IRS will not send a monthly reminder to send a check.
- Correct tax withholding. Some people may want to change their tax withholding if they got a big refund or owed more tax than expected. To make a change, taxpayers should complete and give their employer a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. The IRS Withholding Calculator tool can help with the form.
- Check out a charity. The value of gifts donated to a charity may be deductible. Use the Select Check tool to see if the charity qualifies.
- Get answers to tax questions. The Interactive Tax Assistant covers many common tax topics. Type a question or search terms and ITA can lead step-by-step to the answer. The IRS Tax Map gives taxpayers a single point of access to tax law information by subject. It combines web links, tax topics, forms, instructions and publications all into one set of search results.
- Get forms and publications. View, download and print federal tax forms and publications on IRS.gov/forms at any time.