It’s time to file: tax preparation process for current year, past years, and extensions that are due in October.

Timely File Your Tax Returns

It seems like the Internal Revenue Service is dishing out more penalties and fees than ever before, so filing on time might be in your best interest. If you generally receive a refund, you have three years to file, but if you owe, you must file by the due date, which is usually April 15th.   Any time is a good time to file, and it can be as simple as sending your documents over.

Here is the process for new clients.

  1. If you are an employee or are self-employed, upload here using the Guest Exchange.
  • For employees, send W2’s, a copy of your driver’s license, and any other documents you might have, like 1099’s or 1098’s. If you are self-employed, send your Profit/Loss Statement or Income and Expenses with all other items. Totals Only, no receipts.

2.Please shoot me an email at to start the interview and process as Ill need more information.

3. I’ll prepare the returns and send you a copy for review

4. If everything looks good, sign the e-file authorization documents, pay the tax prep costs, and the returns will be e-filed.

File Past Tax Returns

The process is the same as above. Generally, start with the last three years, and then we will determine the next steps.

Automatic 6 Month Extension of time to file

If you filed an extension, the due date is October 15th.  The extension is ‘of time to file’, not ‘of time to pay’, so if you will owe or have a balance due, it will be accruing interest/penalties for failure to pay, so filing sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Leave a Reply